1. Go to www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin
2. Enter the username and password that you created or was given to you.
3. Click Login.
4. Now you are in the “backend” or “dashboard” of your site!
How to Create/Add a New Post:
1. Find the main menu options in the column on the left side of the screen.
2. Click “Posts” and from the dropdown menu, select “Add New.”
(Note: If you just want to edit a post that’s already been created, Click on the “Posts” button in the left menu. It will bring up a screen with all of the posts on your website. You can search in the search bar for the post you want to edit, or scroll down and find it. Click on the title of your post to edit that particular post.)
3. Start your post by typing in a relevent Title. (this title will show up in the URL bar as well, so think of keywords that might be important to this post)
4. Create your content. Type in the body of the post whatever you want to say.
5. Once you’ve created the content in your post, you can edit the look and layout of the way the text appears: Make keywords throughout the body “bold,” Add quoatation marks to a key phrase to add emphasis, Highlight a paragraph and make the text a different color, change the size of certain sentences, quotes, or headings in the body by selecting an option from the dropdown menu that says ”paragraph.” (ex: Heading 1 will be very large, Heading 2 will be medium size type, and Heading 3 will be small, but larger than your typical paragraph typefaces.
5. Add hyperlinks where you can.
(ex: if you reference Rockwell Art & Design in the body of your post, highlight that phrase with your curser. Then in another tab in your interent browser, open up that website, copy and past the url www.livewellrockwell.com, then click back to the tab of your dashboard, click the hyperlink icon, paste the url into the pop-up box.)
6. Make sure you as you create your new blog post, click the button “Save Draft” as you go, to save the work you’re doing (even though it does periodically save the draft for you).
7. Scroll down the dashboard where you are creating the new post to the boxed in area that reads “Featured Image.” This is the image that will appear as a thumbnail image that is associated with your post, and on your archives page next to the excerpt of what your post is about.
8. In the boxed in area below your post content, Where it says “Excerpt” Add a short, couple sentence summary of what your post is about.
9. Add “tags” or “categories” that have been set up. You can click what categories this post might be relevant to. The categories are another way to link one post to another that are similar to each other. (ex: on a realtor’s website, all the Ranch style homes would be selected in that category to help people search and find all the Ranch homes for sale on his website.)
10. Type in New Tags or select from frequently most used tags. Tags are similar to categories, but are more like keywords. (ex: on a realtor’s website, a post about one home listing might add tags like: hard-wood floors, or gourmet kitchen, to call out features of the post or listing).
Add a Photo or Image to your Post:
1. To add a photo: click the button “Add Media.” Upload an image from your compurter or the media library (images already uploaded and saved to your website).
2. For images on your website: Make sure your photos are at least 400×600 pixels in size, and on the large end, 800×1067 pixels. Title your photos after they upload something like “canvas painting by Raquel Jackson of good harbor bay in the fall.jpg” Click “insert into post”
3. You can move an image around by simply clicking and dragging it up or down your type with the curser.
4. If you want to change where the image appears (right justified, left justified, or the size, click the image, you will see two icons pop up over top the picture. One is to edit, one is to delete it. Click the icon to edit, then choose what you’d like to change, then select “update.”
Click “Publish” to make your new post Live!
Congratulations! You’re blogging and keeping your site fresh and updated!